The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) invites applications from exceptionally bright and motivated individuals with an established record of high-quality research and development, and a strong commitment to teaching for positions of Assistant Professor in its various scientific divisions and centres. Foreign nationals are also eligible to apply. Recruitments in higher positions (Associate Professor and above) may also be made depending on experience and suitability of the candidate, and requirement of the division.
Duties include undergraduate and post-graduate teaching, independent research, consultancy/sponsored research, research supervision, and participation in institutional activities.
- This is a rolling advertisement and is valid from the date of announcement of this notification till December 31, 2021.
- Interested individuals are encouraged to apply for the positions throughout the year.
- The recruitment committee(s) will meet regularly subject to the number of vacancies available at that point to consider the applications and arrange for seminars and/or interviews of the short-listed candidates.
- The processing will be done based on applications received by April 30, 2021; August 31, 2021 & December 31, 2021 (subject to availability of vacancy).
Vacancies: For 2021, a minimum of 22 vacancies is available
Women candidates and candidates from under-represented categories are especially encouraged to apply. Vacancies may be increased or decreased based on the requirements at the time of the recruitment. The Institute reserves the right not to fill all the vacancies.
Reservation: As per Government of India rules, without any compromise on qualification, experience and competence. Necessary certificates must be enclosed with the application form.
Further details about the scientific divisions, faculty profiles, academic programs, and areas of research as well as the desired areas of expertise being sought for are available at the divisional websites.
• Applied Statistics Division (ASD) (https://asd.isical.ac.in/)
• Computer and Communication Sciences Division (CCSD) (https://ccsd.isical.ac.in/)
• Physics and Earth Sciences Division (PESD) (https://pesd.isical.ac.in/)
• Social Sciences Division (SSD) (https://ssd.isical.ac.in/)
• Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research Division (SQC & OR) (https://sqc.isical.ac.in/)
• Theoretical Statistics and Mathematics Division (TSMD) (https://smd.isical.ac.in/)
Interested candidates should apply to a specific division of their choice. They may apply for one more division as their second choice.
ISI is a multi-locational Institute. Candidates can also list their preferences for locations in the application.
Institute reserves the right to offer appointment to the selected candidates at locations and divisions/ units of its choice as per requirement, not restricted to the preferences mentioned by the candidates.
At least 8 positions will be for applicants with background in Statistics (that is, having a PhD in Statistics and/or PhD thesis topic is on Statistics) and related areas (including Probability Theory).
Institute Support for New Faculty Members: In addition to the pay package, the Institute offers several incentives for professional and personal development of the new faculty members. These include
• Startup research grants of up to Rs. five Lakh may be provided in the first year after joining upon submission of a suitable proposal (for Assistant Professors only).
• Cumulative Professional Development Allowance (CPDA) of Rs. three Lakh for every block period of three years is given to all faculty as per rule.
• The Institute encourages faculty entrepreneurship, as well as, faculty involvement in start-ups.
• Accommodation in campus housing based on availability and as per rule.
• Medical facilities and medical insurance scheme are available for all faculty.
SwarnaJayanti Fellowships: Apply Here
- An application should be made in the prescribed form which is available at the end of this advertisement.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) can also apply.
- For Foreign Nationals, if selected, the appointment will be on contract for up to three years subject to clearance from the Govt. of India before he/she can join the Institute. Extension beyond three years will be subject to a review process and necessary approvals may be required.
- The Institute reserves the right to screen and call only such candidates for a seminar and/or interview as are found suitable according to the current needs of the Institute. Thus, fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria would not entitle one to be called for seminar/interview.
- Travel expenses for attending the seminar/ interview presentation from any point within India will be reimbursed as per the Institute norms. The candidates must ensure adherence to Institute norms before purchasing their tickets.
- The candidate is responsible for the correctness of the information provided in the application. If at a later date it is found that any information given in the application is incorrect or false, the candidature/ appointment is liable to be cancelled/ terminated.
- Candidates employed in Government and Semi-Government Organizations, Public Undertaking, and Universities and Institutions funded by the Government need to submit a No Objection Certificate at the time of interaction or when intimated.
- An incomplete application is liable to be cancelled without intimation.
How to Apply:
Candidates must apply with a forwarding letter addressed to the Director, Indian Statistical Institute referring to the advertisement number and its date of publication.
The following documents are required (in PDF format)
- Filled in Application Form in the proforma available at the end of this advertisement
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of all publications
- Proposed research plan
- Proposed teaching plan at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels
- Caste and/or Disability Certificate from the competent authority, as applicable
- Any other relevant information the applicant may wish to furnish
- Reprints of up to five important publications
A single PDF file needs to be made along with the required documents in the order specified above. This single PDF file must be emailed to:
with a copy to the Professor-in-Charge/ Head, SQC & OR of the relevant scientific division.
For any further information related to this advertisement, please contact Professor-in-Charge/ Head, SQC & OR of the respective scientific division. The list of scientific divisions and the names and email addresses of the corresponding Professor-in-Charge/ Head, SQC & OR are listed below
IMPORTANT: Before submitting their application, candidates should visit the divisional webpages for important additional information, if any.