Organizer: Department of Physics, B. B. College, Asansol
About the Course
- Online Certificate Course (It’s free, no Course Fee required)
- Course Opening Date: 1st November, 2021 (Tentatively)
- Target Audience: UG/PG Level Physics, Mathematics and Computer science Students
- Course Duration: 10 Weeks (Approx. 3 Classes per Week, Each of 1 Hour Duration)
- Course Mode: Virtual/Online through Google Meet Platform
- Class Timings: All the Classes will be Scheduled in the Evening between 7 PM – 9 PM (IST)
- Course Exams: Regular Weekly Assignments & Final Exam at the end of the Course
Register on/before 31st October, 2021
Course Co-ordinator: Dr. Kousik Mukherjee, Assistant Professor
Department of Physics, Banwarilal Bhalotia College
Course Instructors: (1) Dr. Jayanta Kr. Majhi, Assistant Professor
(2) Shri Kajal Maji, Assistant Professor
Department of Physics, Banwarilal Bhalotia College
Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Outline & Outcome
This course is designed for students in UG, PG levels and research scholars. The course is divided into two parts: Numerical Analysis and Programming languages. In first part an introduction to numerical techniques of solving algebraic equations will be given. Numerical technique for differentiation and integration, and solving differential equations will be discussed. The second part will focus on different programming languages like C, and Matlab. The course is concluded with the introduction to the techniques of curve fitting. The course will build a skill to use numerical technique along with some modern software applications for research and other purposes.
- Module1. (16L)
Fundamentals of Numerical Analysis:
Error: Accuracy of numbers and errors, Error Propagation, Numerical Instability. [1L]
Numerical solutions of Algebraic and Transcendental equations: Bisection method, Iteration method, false position and Newton Raphson method. [2L]
Interpolation: Finite differences, Difference tables, Forward and Backward difference formula, central difference formula. Linear and Quadratic interpolation. [2L]
Numerical Integration and Differentiation: Derivatives using Newton’s forward and backward interpolation formula, Stirling’s formula, Error analysis in numerical differentiation. Applications in Air defense system. Integration, Newton Cotes quadrature formula, Trapezoidal rule, Simpson’s 1/3 and 3/8 rule, Gaussian Quadrature formula. [7L]
Differential Equations: Taylor Series, Picard’s and Euler method, Runge Kutta Method (1st 2nd and 4th order) [2L]
Curve Fitting: Principle of least square, Straight line fitting, Change of origin, Exponential curves. [1L]
- Module 2 (14 L)
Elements of Programming Languages:
Basics of C programming: Character sets, constants, variables, operators in C, library functions, Hierarchy of arithmetic operations, Simple C program: Header section, Type declaration, Instruction section. Control Structure: Logical if, if else, Loop structure: while, for loop, Arrays: Array declaration, One and two dimensional array and functions. [5L]
C- Programs: 1. To find magnitude of a vector, Sum of series, Odd- even checking, Sum of integers, Sum of two arrays, Printing two dimensional array, Mean and standard deviation. [3L]
Fundamentals of MATLAB: What is MATLAB?, Input-output, File types, Arrays and Numbers, creating and printing simple plots, creating and executing script files, function file. Matrix manipulations, Creating vectors, Arithmetic operations with matrices. [4L]
Programming with MATLAB: Solving a linear system of equations, Numerical Integration, numerical differentiation, solving a differential equation, sets of differential equations. Plotting of graphs.[3L]
Course Materials/Reference Books:
- Gottfried, Programming with C. Schaum series.
- Balaguruswamy, ANSI C. TMH.
- Sastry, Introductory Methods of Numerical Analysis. PHI
- Let us C , Kanetkar
- Matlab, Rudra Pratap
- Matlab, Instruction Manual from Math works
- An Introduction to Computational Physics, Tao Pang
About Course Co-ordinator and Instructors:
Dr. Kousik Mukherjee is a senior Assistant professor of Banwarilal Bhalotia College, Asansol. He has completed his PhD on Optoelectronics in 2015 from NIT, Durgapur. He has offered different UG and PG courses since 2006. His research area includes optoelectronics circuits using nonlinear Optics, photonic crystals etc. He has published more than 100 papers in highly reputed journals, book chapters and conference proceedings.
(1) Dr. Jayanta Kumar Majhi is a senior Assistant Professor of Banwarilal Bhalotia College, Asansol. He has completed his PhD on Material Science in 2021 from Sidho-Kanho-Birsha University Purulia. He has offered different UG and PG courses since 2007. His research area Material Science (Nanomaterials).He has published more than 13 papers in highly reputed journals and conference proceedings.
(2) Shri Kajal Maji is an Assistant Professor in Physics at Banwarilal Bhalotia College, Asansol, India. He has obtained his M.Sc in Physics from Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India. His research interests are Optoelectronic device modelling and simulation. He has published more than 20 research papers in highly reputed journals, book chapters and conference proceedings.