Organizer: Department of Geography Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra -Sponsored By Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi
About the Course
- When: 14th September 2022 to 23rd September 2022
- The maximum intake for the Course shall be 30 seats
- There is no registration fees
- Venue: Department of Geography Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra (offline)
The Department of Geography, Shivaji University started PG programme since 1968, equipped with modern teaching tools comparable to highest standards like computer with necessary geographical packages (GIS, RS), LCD assisted teaching multimedia class rooms, modern surveying tools (DGPS) for interactive teaching and research. The Department offers M.A./M.Sc. Geography, M.Phil / Ph.D., PG Diploma in Geoinformatics, Tourism and Travel Courses. The Department also conducts empirical research, based on field work studies on physical and human phenomenon. Most of the research outputs are descriptive, analytical and confirmatory. The research output helps to advance the knowledge of the subject among students and research scholars to resolve the contemporary social, economic and environmental problems from regional perspective. Therefore, any researcher has to be well-equipped and must have control over the research methodology and their techniques. The Department of Geography is
organizing a “Ten Days Research Methodology Course for M.Phil/Ph.D./PDF Scholars in Social Sciences” during 14th September 2022 to 23rd September 2022. This Research Methodology Course is Sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi. The Course will include various aspects of research methodology and techniques used, in the field of geography and allied social sciences. The content of the course are: Research Methodology- Research Approaches, Problem identification and formulations of Research Question, Sampling Techniques and Fundamentals, Construction of Hypothesis and their testing, Processing and Analysis of Data: t-test, Chi square test, Familiar with QGIS tools and Techniques.
Objectives of the Course/Workshop
- The aim of the course is to improve the methodological and writing skills of the M.Phil/Ph.D/PDF scholars and develop their potential as future academicians/social science researchers.
- The main objective of the workshop is to provide the research scholars with a set of skills and potentiality to commence the research in the field of Social Sciences very effectively, so that the students can give the output of their research in the high quality published work.
- The other important objective is to educate the participants on the use of statistical techniques in data analysis in the field of social sciences and to provide practical/hands-on experience for their Ph.D research work with introducing free Q-GIS software
Brief summary of Course content:
The course will be conducted in both lecture and interactive mode. In addition to theinteractive classroom lectures the participants will also be introduced how to use the free software like QGIS and also to use selected statistical packages like MS-Excel and/or SPSS. The contents of the course are :
- Meaning, Objectives & Types of Research, Research Approaches, Problem identification and formulations of Research Question;
- Research Design, Selection of research topic, Review of Literature;
- Concept and history of fieldwork, Stages of fieldwork
- Observation and Case Study, Concept and types of interview, Survey Method and Sampling, Basic Quantitative Analysis,
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research, Ethics in Social Science Research,
- Academic Writing, Papers for Journals, Preparation of Reports.
- Ethics in Academic Writing, Methods for Avoiding Plagiarism,
- Structure of Paper, Report and Book, Elements of writing, e-library training
- Research Proposal, Writing a research proposal, field visit & data collection;
- Analysis of data using excel and QGIS software.
The resource persons from different parts of country representing the leading institutions/universities will deliver the expertise in the workshop.
Eligibility Criteria :
All registered M.Phil/Ph.D./PDF Scholars in recognized Indian university/research institute from any branch of Social Sciences may send their application for this Research Methodology Course. Selected candidates would be informed 10-12 days in advance of commencing the workshop. As per guidelines (3.3.4) of ICSSR the preferences will be given to the participants who belongs to SC/ST/Other Marginalized and Minority groups. However, in case of non-availability of requisite SC/ST participants, preference may be given to OBC, Women, and Persons with benchmark disability and Minority groups.
The maximum intake for the Course shall be 30 seats (20 for out station and 10 for local). Those who have attended any such type of program sponsored by either UGC or ICSSR should not apply. The selection committee will select the participants for the Course based on the stage/phase of their research work. The aspects like representation of different Social Science Disciplines, Social Background, Gender, etc. shall also be taken into consideration while selecting the Candidates. Notification for selected candidates will be communicated through the registered email/ at university website. Attendance for all the sessions is mandatory or otherwise the certificate shall not be issued.
Interested candidates can apply to the Course-Director along with duly filled registration form on or before 27th August 2022. Registration form can also be downloaded from the university website http://www.unishivaji.ac.in.
The candidates are required to send the filled registration form to the Course -Director duly forwarded by the MPhil/PhD/PDF supervisor and Head of the Department/Institution with following enclosures:
- a) Filled application form (as enclosed with this notification).
- b) Brief Curriculum Vitae of the applicant
- c) A brief note of about 1000 words, delineating research questions, methodology and details on
- their on-going research and its current phase.
- d) M.Phil/Ph.D/PDF registration/supportive documents.
- e) Attested copy of caste/ community certificate of ST/SC/OBC/Minority (if applicable)
Candidates are required to send the filled registration form along with all the required documents to the Course-Director through Online form / through Online link i.e. provided at our University website. Incomplete application forms are liable to be rejected. It will be mandatory for the selected candidates to submit the hard copy of the application form with all supporting documents at the time of joining the course.
Address for Submitting Application Form :
Dr. Jagdish B. Sapkale, Course Director,
Professor, Department of Geography, Shivaji University, Vidyanagar, Kolhapur – 416004,
Registration Fee, Travel Allowances and Accommodation:
There is no registration fee for this Ten Days Research Methodology Course. Boarding and lodging is free. Free food and refreshments for all participants shall be provided. Accommodation to out station participants will be provided on twin sharing basis in the University hostel/guest house. Travelling Allowance would be payable to the selected out station participants only for second-class/ sleeper class/regular bus fare subject to a maximum of Rs.1000/- per participant as per ICSSR rules. The participants, to claim TA should present original tickets.
Duration of the course,
Important dates & venue:
Last date for the receipt of application form: 27th August 2022
Selection to be communicated: 29th August 2022
Confirmation to be communicated: 01st September 2022
Workshop/Course Dates: 14th September 2022 to 23rd September 2022
Venue: Department of Geography Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
Dr. Jagdish B. Sapkale
Professor, Department of Geography
Shivaji University, Kolhapur-416004