Organizer: Urban Studies Journal (USJ) and the Economic and Political Weekly (EPW).
About the Workshop
- When: June 9-14 2023
- Venue: International Centre, Dona Paula, Goa
- Apply by 10 April 2023, 5 pm.
- Workshop is free and Limited to 20
The five-day workshop will host 20 scholars with written manuscripts at Goa. All travel, accommodation and food expenses are covered by the organisers. (Please note there is no stipend). A team of mentors who have years of experience in dealing with manuscript submissions in Indian and international urban studies journals will lead the workshop. The workshop will be a hands-on exercise to address challenges faced by scholars with navigating the submission, referee comments, revision and resubmission stages. Specifically it will help participants anticipate and respond to some of the common referee comments: inadequate engagement with relevant literature; failure to justify the written output’s contribution to the field of urban studies; and issues of style, structure, and presentation.
The workshop will include:
- Intensive sessions comprising peer review
- Real-time revision / restructuring
- Guidance from scholars who have published in EPW / USJ
- Small-group working sessions;
- Input sessions in which scholars who have successfully published in USJ and RUA will share their writing strategies and offer guidance;
- Sessions that identify and discuss criteria and conditions for being accepted in USJ and RUA
- Sessions that analyse published papers from USJ and RUA to identify their structure, arguments, framing and style.
Who can apply?
- Students in advanced Masters’ or Ph.D. programmes may apply
- Junior faculty or practitioners are also welcome to apply
- The applicant should have a written and complete draft manuscript.
- Please note that the manuscript should be scholarly/academic in nature and written with the intent of submitting it to a reputed domestic/international urban journal
How to apply?
Aspiring applicants should fill the Google form provided latest by 10 April 2023, 5 pm. The form will request details on your identity, current designation, location, a brief abstract or description of your manuscript, and the status of your writing. Once your application is submitted, you will hear back from us in 15 days, irrespective of whether you are selected or not. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to send in their draft manuscripts to be briefly reviewed as a condition for being accepted to participate in the workshop.
Writing to Publish Team
Dr. Karen Coelho,
Associate Professor, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Founder member of Review of Urban Studies collective (EPW) and editorial board member of Urban Studies journal, UK.
Dr. Lalitha Kamath,
Associate Professor, School of Habitat Studies (TISS, Mumbai), International Corresponding Editor, Urban Studies Journal, UK.
Dr. Anant Maringanti
Executive Director, Hyderabad Urban Lab Foundation, Founder member of Review of Urban Studies collective (EPW), International Corresponding Editor, Urban Studies Journal, UK.