Organizer: Women’s Studies Centre, CUSAT, Kerala, Sponsored by
National commission for Women
About the Seminar (Offline Only)
- When: December 8th, 9th and 10th 2022
- No Registration Fee
- Selected papers will be published in a peer reviewed journal
Venue: Cochin University of Science
and Technology, Kerala
- Accommodation expenses need to be borne by participants
The topic of gender and sports has had a chequered history, with more challenges being raised than solutions generated. Though there have been countless instances of systematic discrimination and institutionalized apathy, there have also been stories of exceptional performances and resilience over the years. The evolution in global gender discourses has now necessitated that the conventional discussions on sports and women be now expanded to consider the entire spectrum of gender. The recent advances in biology and genetics have also to be incorporated into academic discussions on sports for better integration of sport, gender, and science.
The objective of the seminar is to discuss gender and sports within the context of India informed by the latest discourses and evidence. Themes related to the entire spectrum of these issues will be discussed.
Invited talks and paper presentations will
cover different areas of relevance, including biological advances and sports, gender disparity is sports, harassment and redressal, geographical factors, coaching etc. Invited speakers will include accomplished sportspersons, academics, and researchers.
The aim is to produce actionable and
policy-relevant insights and recommendations for the long-term
transformation of sports from the perspective of gender equality and sustainable development.
- Advances in Biological Sciences and new perspectives
- Coaching and Women
- Gender disparity in Job opportunities to sportspersons
- Gender mainstreaming and sports
- History of gender and sports
- Gender and sexual minorities and Sports participation
- Harassment and Redressal mechanisms
- Financial hurdles
- Rural-Urban disparities in avenues and resources
- Sport as physical activity and gender Literature, culture, gender and sports
- Media, Gender and Sports
- Sport and well being
- Stereotypes and stigma related to sports
- Sports and sustainable development goals
Guidelines for Submissions
Original contributions relevant to the
main theme or any of the sub themes
are invited from university/college
faculties, students and research scholars from gender/women’s studies and other social sciences, sportspersons, administrators and academics in sports/ physical education, sports psychology/ coaching etc.
The abstract should be less than 300
words with a maximum of five
keywords. It must be written in an
editable format such as MS Word or
ODT in Times New Roman font (12
point, 1.5 spacing).
The maximum word limit for full paper is 4000 words in an editable format such as MS Word or ODT, Times New Roman (12 point, 1. spacing). The paper should follow APA format for main body an References.
Name, Designation, institutional address, mobile no. and e-mail ids of Author(s) must be provided with th Abstract and as a separate title pag with the Full paper.
Abstract and Full paper are to be
forwarded to the email id
email@example.com with subject
line as “Submission to Seminar on Gender and Sports” within the
- Abstract Submission: 20 November 2022
- Date of acceptance intimation : 23 November 2022
- Last date for Full paper Submission : 05 December 2022
- Dates of Seminar : 8 -10 December 2022
Patron: Dr. K Ajitha, Director, Women’s Studies Centre, Cochin University of Science and Technology
Dr. Devi Soumyaja, Assistant Professor
School of Management Studies, CUSAT
Dr. Sangeetha K. Prathap, Assistant Professor, School of Management Studies, CUSAT
Organising Committee Members
Ms. Suchithra Lal: +91 9491747358
Dr. Chinchu C: +91 9947215713