FIELD RESEARCHERS: Will be involved in ‘candidate shadowing’ in Assembly election campaigns in Odisha and Andhra
About the Recruitment
- WHEN: SCHEDULE OF FIELD WORK – BETWEEN MARCH-JUNE 2024
- LAST DATE TO APPLY 10TH NOVEMBER, 2023
WHO CAN APPLY?
- A master degree in political science or related discipline
- Strong analytical skills
- A proven affinity with analyzing local political dynamics and election campaigns
- Provenance from Andra Pradesh or Odisha and/or having strong local connections and language skills.
Email your CV to: email@example.com
KITLV Leiden (the Netherlands) and the University of Amsterdam are looking for seven field researchers to study election campaigns for the state assembly elections in Andra Pradesh and Odisha between March and June 2024. The field researchers will be part of the research project ‘Costs of Democracy: The Political Economy of Campaign Finance,’ a research collaboration of the University of Amsterdam, KITLV Leiden, and Universitas Gadjah Mada in Indonesia. This research project aims to identify the conditions that boost the role of money in elections: through a combination of candidate shadowing involving 26 field researchers and a survey of 1000 candidates in Indonesia and India, this project studies how and why campaign expenditures of politicians vary. With this material, this project will inform ongoing efforts of NGOs and governments to reduce the role of money in elections to healthier proportions.
The field researcher will support this project by:
- The field researcher will engage in ‘candidate shadowing’: after receiving research training, he/she will conduct fieldwork – involving interviews as well as participant observation – on the funding and spending practices of a candidate for state assembly elections in either Andra Pradesh or Odisha, for at least 35 days.
- The field researchers will participate in workshops with other researchers in the project to discuss and compare the findings of the fieldwork.
- In the month following this fieldwork, the field researcher will produce a research report on his/her findings following a report template.
KITLV and the University of Amsterdam offer:
- The opportunity to gain working experience as part of an international research project;
- A remuneration involving a fieldwork stipend of Rs. 30,000 (excluding research costs) and a writing allowance of Rs. 30,000.
- The opportunity to expand your academic network, present your results at a research meeting, and potentially publish in an edited volume on campaign finance in India
For more information, please contact Sarthak Bagchi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send an application outlining your motivation, a short writing sample (for example, an essay written in the course of your studies, a blog post, a newspaper article, etc.), and your CV to Sarthak Bagchi (email@example.com) before 10th November 2023.