ISER Kolkata invites applications from motivated students for admission to the Integrated PhD Programme for the Autumn 2023. This programme comprises of two years of Masters-level coursework followed by four years of dedicated research towards PhD. There may not be a provision of exiting the program with a Masters degree.
Eligibility: Students with a B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.B.B.S. or an equivalent degree from any recognized University/Institute/College can apply for the Integrated PhD Programme in Biological Sciences, Earth Sciences and Physical Sciences. Admission, however, will be subject to completion of all formalities, as described below, in ‘Selection procedure’.
Minimum Qualifying marks: Candidates need to secure a minimum of 60% marks/equivalent grades in Honours/Major (if applicable), or 60% marks/equivalent grades in Aggregate (if Honours/Major is not applicable). Those who are appearing in the final examination of their degree course can also apply; for them, the eligibility marks are 60% based on the marks obtained in the undergraduate examinations held till the date of submission of the application form.
Reservations for candidates will be as per Govt. of India norms.
The qualifying marks for SC/ST/OBC candidates are 50% as per Central Government relaxation policy.
Who Can Apply
Please note that applicants who have qualified in the following nationwide aptitude tests in the year 2023 only can apply for the programme :
- For Biological Sciences: JAM (Biotechnology) / JGEEBILS
- For Earth Sciences: JAM (Geology) OR JAM Physics for research in Computational Mineralogy
- For Physical Sciences: JAM (Physics)/JEST (Physics)
Subject combination at Undergraduate level:
Students applying for the Integrated PhD Programme are required to have the following subject(s) in the undergraduate courses:
|Integrated-Ph.D Programme||Major Subjects||Supporting Subjects|
|Biological Sciences||Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Biological Sciences/ Biotechnology/ Medical Sciences/Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry OR Bachelor’s degree including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B. Pharma.||MUST have Biology and Mathematics in 10+2 level. Students who do not have Mathematics in 10+2 must have a mathematics and/or statistics course at the undergraduate level.|
|Earth Sciences||Any branch of Earth and Physical Sciences (interested to work on Seismology/ Computational Mineralogy / Geochemistry/ Petrology)||Physics/Chemistry and Mathematics|
Important Dates :
|Application portal opens||10th April 2023|
|Application portal closes||13th May 2023|
|Publication of Shortlisted candidates for Interview||17th May 2023|
|Interview||13th and 14th June 2023 (for DBS & DES)|
15th and 16th June 2023 (for DPS)
|Publication of interview results||26th June 2023|
|Preregistration portal opens||27th June 2023|
|IPhD Registration||28th July 2023|
How to Apply
The applicants should open the link at the bottom of this page (Submit New Application) and properly fill the application form as instructed and submit. Applicants should save the properly filled application form and take a print as the hard copy of the application. In case a candidate is applying to multiple departments, separate application needs to be filled for each department.
Candidates selected for interview should bring a printout of application form along with the required documents listed below (and also the originals) at the time of interview. The candidates selected for admission may need to upload the soft copies of the documents (to be verified against original at the time of the first physical appearance at the IISER Kolkata; the admission remains provisional until the physical verification).
- Self-attested copies of mark sheets and certificates of all examinations starting from secondary examination.
- Self-attested copy of the qualifying examination certificate.
- Candidates are supposed to provide the details of the referee in the application form. Recommendation Letters for shortlisted candidates will be required to be submitted online in the prescribed format by the teachers. The Prescribed format for the recommendation letter is available (download here) .Teachers of shortlisted candidates will be sent a link using which they will be able to submit their reference letter to the portal.
- Proof of qualification in nationwide aptitude tests.
- Photo identity.
- Proof of age.
- Statement of Purpose mentioning research interest and potential supervisors (if any).
- Institute-level committee(s) will scrutinize all the applications, and prepare a shortlist of candidates, who will be called for an interview.
- Email addresses of two teachers will be sought from shortlisted candidates. These must be teachers who have taught courses and would be able to evaluate the student as a potential research worker.
- The Institute will finally declare the list of selected candidates on the Institute website.
- For candidates whose final examination marks are not available at the time of interview, admission to the programme will be provisional. Such candidates would have to produce final marksheet to the Academic Office within 60 days of their admission and having secured a minimum of 60% of marks/equivalent grades in Honours/Major (if applicable), or 60% marks/equivalent grades in aggregate (if Honours/Major is not applicable).
For any additional query email us at: email@example.com
Queries sent to any other person or e-mail address may not be entertained.