- Post Number : 4INEDPA051GI
- Grade : NO-E
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: New Delhi
- Job Family: Programme Coordination
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 27-FEB-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Only nationals of India may apply for this position.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is UNESCO’s first education-related category 1 institute in the Asia and the Pacific region towards the development and promotion of new approaches to education for a more peaceful and sustainable world. The Institute aims to contribute to the conceptualization, design, and formulation of regional and sub-regional strategies in education for peace and sustainable development, through South-South and triangular North-South-South cooperation.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Director of the Institute, the Senior National Project Officer will serve as the lead to implement the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed with the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), in India on digital pedagogies and social and emotional learning and act as the primary program resource for designing, testing and implementing digital pedagogies to mainstream social and emotional learning in the education system in India. The objective will be (a) to conceive and plan programs (b) design assessments (c) conduct research and (d) build capacity to teach socio-emotional skills using evidence-based neuroscience and interactive digital pedagogies to ensure whole brain development and learning.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Institute, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of the MOU signed with NCERT to train and certify 8.4 million teachers in India on digital pedagogies and social and emotional learning
- Lead the programme team to act as a knowledge partner in setting up of International Hub for Education in Mixed Reality (IHEM) and to operationalize the education vertical of Centre of Excellence on Metaverse to be established by the State Government of Karnataka, India
- Lead UNESCO MGIEP to collaborate with the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur on joint areas of research in learning the impact of technology on learning and cognitive development in children and applications of cognitive science in developing innovative technologies for learning in the classroom
- Lead the design, research, and implementation of science and evidence-based programs of the Institute that cultivate competencies for SDG 4.7
- Lead the science-based survey initiatives; guide design of data collection instruments; review, analyze and interpret responses, identify problems/issues, and prepare conclusions to test the efficacy of programs in India and other member states
- Ensure project alignment with Government reforms and maintain regular relations with national counterparts and key stakeholders
- Manage outreach activities; prepare policy-oriented quality briefings and presentation, design and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on technical topics and activities as deemed appropriate within the framework of the programme and evaluate the impact
- Lead and manage the team to formulate, plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate the programmes
- Identify opportunities to expand capacity-building initiatives within India and to new countries and regions
- Nurture partnerships with member states, education networks, and corporate businesses to further the impact of the Institute
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) at MGIEP, contribute to all aspects of organizational and institutional development including the shaping of the future vision, strategies, operations, recruitment, staff development and retention, and resource mobilization
- Coordinate with the SMT at MGIEP to advise the institute’s organizational units on performance at an aggregate level and alert on risks or deviations and advise remedial steps
- Oversee the preparation of reports for submission to senior management and governing board on programme performance ensuring quality and accuracy and clear assessment of impact in alignment results-based performance indicators
- Contribute to strategic learning events and promotion of networking and dialogues on monitoring and evaluation to develop system-wide accountability mechanisms at the country level such as specific thematic/programmatic markers for resource allocation and performance indicator setting
- Proactively collaborate with and engage with the SMT to identify and share best programme and management practices
- Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
- Strategic thinking (M)
- Building partnerships (M)
- Driving and managing change (M)
- Managing performance (M)
- Making quality decisions (M)
- Leading and empowering others (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the sciences of Learning, Education, and Social Sciences.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in evidence-based innovative development of pedagogical tools for learning and assessment
- Experience in designing and executing well-designed research programs for evidence-based learning
- Experience in supervising the successful implementation of programs
- Experience in supervising teacher capacity-building programs
- Experience in Social and Emotional Learning and digital pedagogies
- Experience in fundraising from relevant stakeholders
- Experience in leading and managing the work of teams.
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills, with the ability to establish priorities, coordinate and monitor work plans
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representation skills
- Demonstration of out-of-the-box thinking for the designing of learning for digital pedagogies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills proposing innovative approaches and ideas
- Familiarity with result-based management
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction, and priorities
- Demonstrated comprehensive research, interpretation, and critical analysis skills
- Ability to manage and share information and knowledge
- Able to catalyze new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement
- Ability to engage with a diverse group of partners from a range of disciplines and forge productive working relationships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient IT skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel..etc).
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English
- Good knowledge of Hindi.
- Ph.D. in the sciences of Learning, Education, and Social Sciences.
- Professional experience within an international environment (i.e. United Nations (UN) system, Fund, Programme, or another context).
- Experience working in multidisciplinary research teams with a track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Working knowledge of another UNESCO language (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish).
- Working knowledge of any other Indian regional language.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.