Organizer: The Department of English, Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU)
About the Conference (Hybrid Mode)
- When: February 23rd – 25th, 2023
- There is no registration fee
- All paper presentations are in ONLINE mode
- Selected papers of the conference to be published by Routledge
- Event Address: Central University of Gujarat, Sector 29, Gandhinagar, India
Concept Note: Urdu Diaspora in 21st Century
Urdu is one of the major languages of the Indian Subcontinent. A substantial number of Urdu speaking people live beyond the borders of the Subcontinent, the cradle of Urdu language and literature. The language, through its speakers, has reached far off places like the United States of America, Canada, China and Japan and left its mark in almost all parts of the world. Migrant Urdu speakers have managed to proudly retain and preserve their cultural heritage, even while assimilating with the cultures of their host-countries. The Partition of the Indian Subcontinent resulted in a major wave of migration. The immigrants faced numerous economic, social, political and cultural challenges. Writers of Urdu and English have highlighted the Urdu diaspora within and outside the Indian subcontinent in their respective works. For example, Kamila Shamsie’s Kartography and Intizar Husain’s Aage Samandar Hai (translated into English as The Sea Lies Ahead) depict how Urdu-speaking migrants from India’s Muslim minority provinces who migrated to the urban centres of Sindh have re-created and conserved their diasporic identity in post-Partition Pakistan.
Several acclaimed works highlight experiences of Urdu diaspora both in Urdu and English literature.
The Department of English, Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU) is collaborating in an international interdisciplinary conference titled “The Global Indian Diasporas: Literary, Cultural and
Socio-Economic Perspectives in the 21st Century” for the sub-theme on “Urdu Diaspora in the 21st Century”.
Papers are invited for the sub-theme “Urdu Diaspora in 21st Century”. The following is a list of suggested topics
- Urdu language and literature in Diaspora
- History and patterns of Urdu diaspora migration
- Urdu Culture and Identity in Diaspora
- Urdu migrant narratives within India (a Comparative perspective)
- Minorities, Dalits, and Religions in Urdu Diaspora
- Urdu Diaspora and Business, Trade, and Entrepreneurship
- Urdu Digital Diasporas
- Urdu Diaspora and Covid-19
- Film and other visual representations depicting Urdu Diaspora
- International relation and politics in the context of Urdu Diaspora
- Women and Gerontology in terms of Urdu Diaspora
- Urdu Linguistic/Cultural/Student/Political associations of the Urdu Diaspora
- Any other related theme
- Mention “GID SC 04” in Subject of email followed by the Title of the proposed paper.
- Abstract in 300 words in Times New Roman, 12 Font size with a short bio note (100 words) needs to be submitted to email@example.com
- Last Date of Sending Abstract: 31 December 2022
- Submission of Complete Paper: 1 February 2023
- Dates of the Conference: 23-25 February 2023
- The final list of selected participants: 10 February 2023