- Last date to receive application is July 30, 2023
- Application Mode: Online
- A total of Fifty Awards (25 in Category-II and 25 in Category-III) shall be conferred every year
The National Education Policy, 2020, has underlined the importance of motivated and energised faculty members to meet the expectations of high-quality education. For cultivating a culture of excellence in higher education, there is a need to develop a systematized mechanism to incentivize the outstanding and creative work of faculty members of Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) and recognise its impact not only on their students but on the communities around them, through appropriate rewards and recognitions.
The purpose of the National Award to Teachers 2023 in higher educational institution is to recognise the distinctive contributions of some of the finest faculty members in the country and honor them for their dedication and hard work, which have not only improved the quality of higher education but also enriched the lives of their students. The Award seeks to recognise and honour the unique and path breaking achievements of faculty members in teaching, research, institutional service, community outreach and novelty of work in the field of higher education.
- Vocational Training (ITI/Polytechnic/NSTI/PMKVY Institutions) & Entrepreneurship Development
- Higher Education Institutions
Share achievements in 800 words max.
- ● Teaching Effectiveness
- ● Research & Innovation
- ● Faculty Development
- ● Leadership & Management
- ● Outreach Activities
- ● Skill Trainers: Masters/Short Term/Long Term
General Guidelines for submission of the application
- No row/column in the application is to be left blank by the applicant. Blank will be treated as Nil.
- All applications are to be supported with self-attested documentary evidences.
- Certificate by the Head of the Institute is to be furnished as per Annexure – I.
- Incomplete application will be summarily rejected and no communication in relation to such cases will be entertained.
- Any information / input found to be false at any stage will invite penal action and cancellation of the application/award.
- In case of any conflict, decision of the Competent Authority, MoE, GoI will be final and binding.
- Application is to be submitted online only through designated portal.
Visit Here to Apply
Other Details of Awards
- Category I: For school teachers: 50
It is an annual initiative conducted by Dept of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education.
NOTE: For category I, the school teachers are not applicable to apply through HEI portal i.e.
- Category II: For teachers of ITIs and Polytechnique institutions: 25
This is the new category introduced this year and will felicitate teachers of ITIs and Polytechnic/ Diploma institutions. This award process will be conducted jointly by Department of Higher education, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Category III: For teachers of higher educational institutions: 25
This award will be given to exemplary teachers/faculty members of technical and non-technical higher education institutions. There shall be three sub- categories based on the following broad disciplines:
- Sub-category I: Engineering & Technology, Architecture, any other.
- Sub-category II: Pure Sciences including Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Medicine, Pharmacy, any other
- Sub-category III: Arts and Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Legal Studies, Commerce, Management, any other.
*The list of disciplines/subjects is indicative only and will also include any other discipline/ subject/emerging area pertaining to higher education.
- Each awardee shall be presented with the following.
- A medal
- A certificate
- Cash Prize of Rs 50,000/-
The award is open to all the faculty members of colleges/universities/higher educational institutions
in India, satisfying the following conditions:
- Should be a regular faculty member,
- Should have at least five years of full-time teaching experience at the Undergraduate and/or Post-graduate level
- Should not be above 55 years of age as on last date of receiving application for the awards.
- Vice-Chancellor/ Director/Principal (regular or officiating) are NOT eligible to apply
Nominations for the award can be made by any of the following:
- Vice-Chancellor/Director/Principal of the same University/Institute/College,
- A colleague or any other faculty member, including former faculty member/ Head/Dean of the same institution,
- Self-nomination is NOT allowed.
The nomination shall be made in the prescribed format using an online portal, Rashtriya Puraskar Portal @www.awards.gov.in.
- The nomination shall be supported by a citation (max 800 words) enumerating the contributions and achievements of the faculty member in the specified areas.
- Creating an optimal learning environment for students through innovative curricular design, improved pedagogical approaches, promoting multidisciplinary and experiential learning and effective assessment of learning outcomes,
- Promoting educational technology to improve the quality of education including the development of digital educational resources,
- Providing students support for physical and psychological well-being of students while also enhancing their cognitive abilities,
- Fostering gender, SEDGs sensitization and inclusivity on campus, community engagement, outreach, and service, etc.
- Fostering environmental/climate sensitivity, multi-stakeholder adaptability and a strong sense of nationalism.
- Innovations/initiatives/Start-ups contributing towards better communities and nation.
- One person can make only one nomination at a time,
- A nomination is eligible for re-nomination,
- Former Vice-Chancellor/Director/Principal may apply subject to full time current teaching assignment.
- Members of the Search cum Screening Committees may also take suo-moto cognizance of an outstanding faculty member and may nominate.
- Award Jury are NOT eligible to make a nomination for this award.
- The nominator may please ensure that the nomination form is duly completed and information, as required by the Committee, is included.
- Nominations received after the due date shall not be considered.
- Vigilance clearance and Integrity certificate are to be mandatorily provided by the HEI as per Annexure-I
Selection procedure for NTA-2023 will follow two-step process.
1) Preliminary Search cum Screening Committee for initial shortlisting of candidates
2) Committee of ‘Jury’ for final section of awardees from the shortlisted candidates
Step-1: Preliminary Search cum Screening Committee
There will be Category-wise, all-inclusive Search cum Screening Committees. For initial screening and shortlisting of potential candidates. Considering large number of expected applications, Search Cum Screening committee will have approximately 100 eminent experts (Eminent retired faculty/ experts from industry/ domain experts/eminent personalities/ educationalist/national award winners and experts from social sector).
These 100 experts will be used to constitute 20 screening committees (of 5 members each) to ensure unbiased screening process. These Search cum Screening Committees shall review the submitted nominations and shortlist under each category. The shortlisted nominations shall be forwarded to the Jury for final selection.
Initial evaluation will be based on the citation (max 800 words) clearly bringing out applicant’s FIVE distinguished and exceptional achievements/ noteworthy teaching service in her/his respective discipline that make him/her/it worthy for the National Award followed by an interaction (online) with the Jury members.
The selection of meritorious teachers will be carried out through a rigorous screening process having the following parameters:
- Teaching Learning Effectiveness
- a) Courses taught (Theory/Tutorial/Lab)
- b) Duration of courses taught at UG and/or PG level.
- c) New courses developed/Content created.
- d) Innovative curricular design/ improved pedagogical approaches/ promoting multidisciplinary & experiential learning/effective assessment of learning outcomes/teaching methodology (Online/Offline/Blended)
- e) Students mentoring/hand holding
- Laboratory infrastructure development/Learning Projects/Field works
- g) Classroom Performance (academic result, talent shaping, encouraging learning, grooming & recognizing special needs)
- Research & Innovation
- a) Numbers of Masters/PhD dissertations guided.
- b) Fellow/Sr. Member/Member of Professional Bodies
- c) Numbers of publications/Single author/Group member
- d) Numbers of patents granted/Single author/Group member
- e) Citation Index/Google scholar
- f) Books/Chapters/Monographs/Project reports/laboratory manuals Prepared.
- g) Editor/ Member Editorial Board of Journals
- h) Number of Technology transfers along with royalty received.
- i) Number/details of startups created/supported along with valuation
- Sponsored Research/Faculty Development Programs/ Consultancy
- a) Consultancy/Projects/Industrial R&D (Completed/Under progress)
- b) FDPs/Seminars/Conferences/Refresher Courses (As a Resource Person or as an Organizer)
- c) Consultancy funding (Routine testing not to be included)
- d) Research funding/International or National Projects/Programs
- e) Patents/IPR/Transfer of Technology/Product Innovation
- Academic/Institution Leadership/Management
- a) Contribution as former Director/Principal/Head/Dean/Warden/ Head of Training & Placement/Program coordinators or during any other administrative duty performed/completed.
- b) Incubation support for startups
- c) Contribution to Co-curricular activity/Sports/NSS/NCC activities.
- d) Contribution to NBA/NAAC/NIRF accreditation/Internal Committees.
- e) Contribution to Community Outreach/Hackathons/ Students Clubs
- f) Contribution towards Collaborative academia industries-interface for Research and Innovation/ Placement/ Technology transfer etc.
- g) Any other (please specify)
- Outreach Activities
- a) In-Charge of Incubation Center/Institute Industry Cell/Institution Innovation Cell/Start up Cell etc.
- b) Contribution towards UNs Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs).
- c) Contribution to regional/rural development/Extension Services etc.
- d) Contribution to policy making and advocacy for issues pertinent to the society and nation such as Unnat Bharat Abhiyan. Member on the Govt of India Committees/initiatives.
- e) Recognition- Awards / Prizes
- f) Creates socially responsible academia impact through teaching and /or research.
- g) Any Other (please specify)
Video Submission: Apart from information requested above, every candidate will be requested to submit a 2-3 minutes video clip/link (uploaded on YouTube as private link) highlighting their outstanding achievements for the award.
Step-2: Committee of Jury for selection of awardees
There shall be a comprehensive five-member Jury comprising of academic leaders, eminent academicians, policy planners in the field of higher education. The Jury shall consider the recommendations of the Search cum Screening Committees and finalize the awardees under each Award Category after a personal interaction in online mode with the shortlisted candidates
Timeline for Award
- Inviting Nominations 07th July 2023
- Deadline for receiving Nominations 30th July 2023
- Finishing Selection Process 15th August 2023
- Felicitation of Award 5th September every year
The selected awardees will be felicitated on 5th September (Teachers Day) to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the second President of India. The awardees will be felicitated in a Grand Award Ceremony to be organised by the Award Management Committee on behalf of the Government of India.
On Letter-Head of the Institute
This is to certify that (Name of Nominee), (Designation), (Date of Birth) is a regular faculty member of the University/Institute since , (Employee ID). Applicant has been teaching ITI/Diploma/Undergraduate/Post Graduate courses since
He/She is a dedicated and popular faculty member who commands respect from his/her students and peers. There is no vigilance/departmental enquiry either pending or contemplated against the (Name of Nominee).
The applicant has not been convicted by any court of law to the best of my knowledge.
The applicant bears and displays good character and antecedents, and his/her integrity is beyond doubt.
Place (Signature and Name)
Date (Vice Chancellor/Director/Principal)
With official seal